Saturday, November 17, 2007

23andMe - genetics just got personal

 
Welcome to 23andMe, a web-based service that helps you read and understand your DNA. After providing a saliva sample using an at-home kit, you can use our interactive tools to shed new light on your distant ancestors, your close family and most of all, yourself.
 
I implemented my company's software at a client whose function was to produce a similar chip used in the service above, but it was more for research purposes and wasn't aimed at individuals being able to purchase for themselves (and the social factor this site has incorporated).  I'm curious how many of you would either embrace or refuse to use this technology. :-) 
 
If I were single and had $1000 laying around, I'd love to participate and spend my free time actually putting my biochem degree to work, overriding my general concerns about the privacy aspect (which would hopefully be mitigate by awareness and laws).

No comments: