Saturday, November 11, 2006

Key Republican joins Dems opposing Bolton nomination

Key Republican joins Dems opposing Bolton nomination - sure he's a lame duck just like Bush, but at least he's not just following party lines. I'd love to hear examples of Democrats voting for Republican issues too.

Even more than that, I'd love to feel like average citizens don't have to work so hard to hold our representatives up to a level of intellectual integrity while they get to earn the $150,000+ salaries. It's nice to see things are moving in that direction, and I hope everyone's eyes will stay on the ball until that becomes the norm rather than the exception.

A bigger note to me from the article isn't really focused on except this line: "Along with Bolton's nomination, Bush said he would like to move forward on legislation to retroactively authorize the National Security Agency's domestic surveillance program."

I'm flabbergasted every time I read something like that. Am I right in reading it as that the NSA is already violating the law in wiretapping without warrants, and are now looking to Bush to say it was okay? Similar to the Military Commissions Act, saying what had happened in the past also was accceptable under the new umbrella (which hadn't been in place at the time)? I hope this proposal gets shot down quickly with Democrats having more power and with all sides hopefully voting with their heads instead of their party.

No comments: